GET THE FACTS
- 1. 26 million American adults have CKD and millions of others are at increased risk.
- 2. Early detection can help prevent the progression of kidney disease to kidney failure.
- 3. Heart disease is the major cause of death for all people with CKD.
- 4. Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is the best estimate of kidney function.
- 5. Hypertension causes CKD and CKD causes hypertension.
- 6. Persistent proteinuria (protein in the urine) means CKD is present.
- 7. High risk groups include those with diabetes, hypertension and family history of kidney failure.
- 8. African Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, American Indians and Seniors are at increased risk.
- 9. Three simple tests can detect CKD: blood pressure, urine albumin and serum creatinine.